Avoid Amoebas – Neti Nightmare…

Please use Distilled Water for your Neti Rinses and not Tap Water.

In light of recent events involving the death of two people who used tap water to cleanse their sinuses with their Neti pot, it is important to adhere to Neti pot recommendations and use Distilled Water and Not Tap Water for rinsing.

Interestingly, for thousands of years, this Ayurvedic and Yogic cleansing practice has been safely utilized. It is a rare and unusual occurrence to have such a Neti pot night mare in modern day society.

This instance, however brings up an interesting point about pathogens in our water supply and also the immunity of our current day society. Without delving too much into the science, there is also the Hygeine Hypothesis to consider.  This speaks to the lack of early childhood exposure to infectious agents due to overcleansing and other sterilization techniques and how it increases our susceptibility to diseases by suppressing natural development of the immune system. In Ayurveda, this would refer to poor “Ojas,” or immunity and a low level of “Agni,” our digestive fire required to properly eliminate foreign organisms.

Another interesting point the article below and a WebMD article  points out is that certain pathogens found in our water supply such as these amoebas Can Be properly eliminated via digestion when drinking tap water but are however too challenging when delivered via such a direct mechanism as a Neti Pot or Sinus Rinse device. It is thought that the direct migration of the amoeba into the brain via the nasal cavity was the source of these two deaths. The articles also state the most of our water is chlorinated and that pathogens such as these are not typically viable. This excludes fresh waters such as lakes and rivers that have not been chemically treated. 

Nonetheless, it is important in today’s modern society to be cautious, so Please purchase a separate gallon of Distilled water and safely continue this wonderful and useful cleansing ritual.

~Namaste and Good Health~


A sinus-flushing device used to relieve colds and allergies has been linked to a deadly brain-eating amoeba.

Louisiana’s state health department issued a warning about neti pots – which look like mini watering cans, that are used by pouring salty water through one nostril.

It follows two recent deaths – a 51-year-old woman and a 20-year-old man from the ‘brain-eating amoeba’ Naegleria fowleri.

It is thought the amoeba entered their brains when they used the devices.

Both victims are thought to have used tap water, instead of distilled or sterilised water as recommended by the manufacturers.

Dr Raoult Ratard, Louisiana State Epidemiologist, said: ‘If you are irrigating, flushing, or rinsing your sinuses, for example, by using a neti pot, use distilled, sterile or previously boiled water to make up the irrigation solution.

‘Tap water is safe for drinking, but not for irrigating your nose.’

He added that it is important to rinse the irrigation device after each use and leave open to air dry.

The very rare infection typically occurs when people go swimming or diving in warm freshwater lakes and rivers.

In very rare instances, health experts said such infections may also occur when contaminated water from other sources, such as from an inadequately chlorinated swimming pool or when people irrigate their sinuses with devices like neti pots.

Naegleria fowleri (centre) and coloured images showing stained samples in brain tissueNaegleria fowleri (left) and a stained sample seen in brain tissue

According to The Department of Health and Hospitals in Louisiana, the amoeba causes the disease primary amebic meningoencephalitis, a brain infection that leads to the destruction of brain tissue.

In its early stages, symptoms may be similar to symptoms of bacterial meningitis and can include headache, fever, nausea, vomiting and stiff neck. Later symptoms include confusion, loss of balance, seizures and hallucinations.

After the start of symptoms, the disease progresses rapidly and usually causes death within one to 12 days.

A spokesman from the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said the Louisiana cases are still being investigated.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2074957/Deaths-brain-eating-amoeba-linked-sinus-remedy-colds.html#ixzz1h4k9luKt


4 Comments Add yours

  1. Pat Florio says:

    Thanks for the tip. I always used Distilled water anyway, but now I know why.

  2. Wow. Any ashram in India I’ve been to just told students to use the (Indian!) tap water. Well….thanks for posting!

  3. vedahealth says:

    Yes, I know many folks who use tap or shower water. Not anymore, I’m sure.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s